Thursday, June 27, 2013

Fun times trying new smoothies and my FIRST garden

I should get my Slim-Fast 3-2-1 stuff today so my smoothies will become mostly my night time snack. Although the last two nights I have enjoyed a bowl of Vanilla Frozen Yogurt with blackberry puree on top. Using last years blackberries finally! I don't know what I'm going to do with this years but we will have a TON as I'm sure there are a million flowers on them right now!

Yesterday for lunch I had a Pineapple Carrot Smoothie! Pretty good but this recipe I posted is what I will do next time as I didn't think my first try had enough carrot flavor. I can't wait until I can use my own home grown carrots! 
Today for breakfast I made a Berry Nutty Smoothie. My first one with peanut butter! YUM!! I will for sure drink this one more often! It is VERY filling too! 
I must say I am proud of myself for the garden that I have planted. This is my very first garden.....all by myself! (Sure thankful for Facebook and all my mom's cyber help!) I'm working on getting all my garden pictures together to do a 2013 garden post but it seems to be taking FOREVER today!  

Just thought I would sneak a super cute picture or two into this post! I sure could just squeeze the cuteness right out of him sometimes!

 Pretty sure he is the cutest thing ever!!!


I made homemade almond butter today to make adding almonds to my smoothies easier and cheaper.

 Plain Raw Almonds

I have a Costco sized bag of almonds and didn't measure I just poured probably 1/2 the bag into the food processor and started grinding...............
 10 minutes.....
A nice fine almond powder.....

 20 minutes.....

I was starting to wonder and then.......... 

 30 minutes.....

It started to look right..........

 Took almost 40 minutes!





The End......................for now!

5 comments:

  1. Nice job!! You are learning first hand how to do things. Love it!

    Baby pictures are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy smoothies! My favorite is banana/pb, though I've started using sunflower butter and almond butter now. One of my next posts is going to be of all the butters I've been making. I made a pecan butter recently. My almond butter only took less than 10 minutes in the food processor. Did you roast the almonds first? Roast in oven on baking sheet at 350 for about 8 minutes. Then let them cool. Then process them. They might process better if not raw. Fun post. It's fun doing recipes, huh? ;) And yes, that darn baby is awfully cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I'm going to get some fresh pineapple, chunk it up and freeze it. And I've heard that the core is super healthy and great in smoothies, so I'll freeze that in chunks, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know that about the core. Mom has a bunch of Dole canned pineapple rings so I just opened a few of them and froze the rings. I'll have to do the fresh pineapple too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure her canned pineapple is "in its own juice" so there is no added sugar. But yes, use what is available.

      Delete